A man arrives at the Folkestone Carlton hotel booking only to be told it “hasn’t been open for weeks”

A man went through “hotel hell” after traveling all the way from Reading to Folkestone for a reservation, only to be told the place “hadn’t been open for weeks”.

Jon Proctor, 29, made the reservation in November and even got notifications reminding him to check in.

But once arrived at the Carlton hotel on The Leas, he said he was greeted by a smoking staff member inside and also by a “rude” manager who told him he had to find a other place to stay.

Read more:Visitors to the Folkestone Grand Burstin Hotel slam ‘catastrophic’ conditions in scathing reviews

He told KentLive: “It’s been hell of a time in Folkestone, to be honest.

Signing up for the KentLive newsletter means you’ll receive the latest news straight to your inbox twice a day.

Nothing could be simpler and it only takes a few seconds – just tap here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the image on most desktop and mobile platforms.

You can also register on our website and comment on our stories by clicking here and logging in.

“I was going down to see some friends for a ceremony and I was really excited.

“I arrived on Saturday to check in at 7.30pm which was dark at this point and I don’t know Folkestone very well.

“I was tired of traveling after leaving Reading early in the day.

“I arrived at the hotel to find it locked.

The Carlton Hotel in Folkestone

“I was then greeted by someone smoking inside who said the place was closed to the public and had been for weeks.”

Jon, who is a loss prevention officer, said he hadn’t even been properly explained why the hotel was closed or why he hadn’t been notified.

He claims that he was given various reasons such as the hotel was under renovation and it was difficult to get a refund.

Jon added: “After some arguing I had an unhelpful manager who came over and told me it was closed and all I could do was book another room elsewhere.

“I contacted hotel.com and after a lot of pushing I was able to get a refund for the Carlton Hotel, but their help ended there and they finally gave me a pitiful voucher £ 20 free.

“Obviously I had to pay extra to book a hotel overnight and if my friends and family hadn’t helped me pay I would have been stuck.”

Jon also said the experience was made all the more stressful as he suffered from severe epilepsy following a previous stroke.

He said the situation made him really worried about his health.

“I was really, really worried about where I was going to stay,” he added.

“The whole experience has been a scary experience and I never wish to repeat it.

“Now I really owe my friends money from this experience.

“It was supposed to be a great experience, a celebration, but it turned into a nightmare.”

KentLive contacted the Carlton Hotel, who declined to comment.

Hotel.com has also been approached for a statement.

Comments are closed.